Feeling like you want to be healthier but not sure where to start? Good news, you already started! Just by thinking it you have made it past a huge step. Now it’s in your head and you want it, so we just need to put it into action. So where to start? Join an expensive gym, start a crazy diet that there’s zero chance you will be able to maintain for life, make a drastic change in hopes that you will see drastic results? NOOOO. This is not the way to start. Starting with these 5 easy things will make you realize it is easy to be healthy but it requires dedication to a new lifestyle. It needs to be gradual. Quick and drastic changes never last. You will eventually go back to your old routine. Trust me, I have experienced it over and over and now I finally get it, the big picture. So my advice, give these 5 things a try. Add them to your daily life and see if you can maintain it without eventually going back to your old normal. Remember, you want a NEW normal, so you have to create it. If you miss one now and then, don’t beat yourself up, just try again tomorrow.
- drink a little more water than you normally do – we all know we should drink more water. it is essential for circulating nutrients through your body. tip: drink a full glass of water before each meal and it can help prevent over eating.
- do 20 push ups before you take a shower – push ups work your core, arms, chest, and lower body at the same time. this literally takes 5 minutes or less. split it into 2 sets of 10 in the beginning if you have to. you will be surprised how much easier it gets after just a few days. when it’s easy, time to step it up.
- take a multivitamin – especially if you know you aren’t eating a balanced diet. vitamins can help fill the gap and ensure you are getting all those micronutrients that are so good for you. you might even find that you feel more energized because your body is getting what it needs to function more efficiently.
- do something outside – especially if you work indoors, make an effort to be outside for a minimum of 30 min to 1 hour. take a walk, eat dinner on the patio, drive with the windows down, anything. nature increases brain function and creativity. it is also a proven stress reliever and studies show that going outside daily helps older people stay healthier longer and age gracefully.
- set a small goal each day and complete it – we can’t conquer the world in a day, but each day we can conquer something. maybe its as simple as cleaning out your jeep that you have been throwing sandy dive gear in the back of for weeks or finishing all the laundry because you are never fully caught up on it. maybe its crossing something off your long list of things to do like start packing for your upcoming move. by completing small goals, we are working toward a bigger goal sometimes without even realizing it.
Sounds pretty easy right? You are so capable of this.
When you’re ready to take the next steps in getting even more healthy, do it! Go at your own pace, work your way up to super clean eating and daily exercise. You will not regret it.
Remember, you are awesome and there is no one else in this world like you so always be original. Be yourself unapologetically and you’ll be happier in the end.